RACHEL ROSE: SONIC HEDGEHOG OPENS TODAY (MONDAY, OCTOBER 7TH, 7 - 9PM) @ MALRAUX'S PLACE

When I was ordering clocks online for this project, I got to know the way clocks are categorized - by face shapes and types of hands. This is the first time I’ve worked physically in a while, and I feel nervous about it. I’m nervous because the truth is it’s arbitrary how I’ve configured these clocks - a slight change in the way a shape connects to another, or a delay in the time I spend on one part and the entire mini-system on the clock face is reconfigured. I had to keep reminding myself that there’s no rush, because the clock itself is just a drawing, I’m adding animation to animation.

Sonic hedgehog (Shh) is a gene pathway named after the Sega Genesis character, Sonic the Hedgehog. It's active in the development of our facial features and limbs. Suffused with the name of a cartoon that embodies time, the sonic hedgehog develops its gene pathway as a matter of impulse, it’s at ease in spontaneously animating (creating) our faces.

I like the idea of a gene as a secret animation, and in all of the clocks for this project, I’ve used that to flatten exclamations, artificial light, and bodies into lines, stills and cuts.

In one clock I took stills from the early Disney film Gulliver’s Travels (1939) where an ensemble of very small people run curiously to a clock that’s twice their size. It’s the fallen pocket-watch of the ‘giant’ (to them) Gulliver. I printed it on transparency, and over that, printed an image of Sonic the Hedgehog. That day (yesterday), while I was waiting for the images to print I came across a photo of Kim wearing a latex skin-colored skirt. It looks like how it would feel to wrap a piece of the printing transparency paper around limbs, so I pasted it with other stills onto the clock.  

Kim is my favorite animation. Everyday I get one image, then the next, accumulating into entire movements, like having a baby or going to Paris. Her sonic hedgehog legs move slow in my time - slow like an early Disney animation where you see the colors and shapes impersonating forms. Clocks do this too, animating information about time, while impersonating our bodies.

LINK

Popular posts from this blog

Psychic Dancehall - Dreamers LP